Bringing Culture Into Focus
The 2015 ABIM Foundation Forum aims to reach a common understanding of how culture can affect performance in health care and its role in facilitating the patient-physician partnership in routine care, care of patients with multiple chronic conditions and care at the end of life.
Specific Forum goals include:
- Develop a shared understanding of culture, its importance and how it affects attitudes, behaviors, processes and outcomes of care.
- Explore how culture influences relationships among patients, families, clinicians and administrators. Investigate what a partnership model looks like and how it contrasts with current culture and practice in:
- Preventive and acute care
- Care of patients with multiple chronic conditions
- Serious illness care
- Redesign of care processes
- Explore how community culture, organizational culture and cultural and individual characteristics of patients, families and clinicians affect experience of care, decision-making and outcomes.
- Examine the experience of organizations and communities that have intentionally changed their culture and improved their performance.