February NASH News
As recognition of fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) as a true global health crisis rises the need to collect, curate, and share relevant information in a timely fashion grows as well. The GLI NASH News is intended to meet that need and facilitate collaboration across the emerging NASH Community on a monthly basis.
We appreciate your feedback and content contributions. Please contact email@example.com
GLOBAL LIVER INSTITUTE
Did you know that NAFLD and NASH have a greater prevalence in the hispanic population?
Recognizing the link between cardiovascular disease, genetics, and fatty liver disease, GLI staff attended the National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) Congressional Briefing on February 13, 2018 in the Rayburn House Office Building, titled “Chronic Disease & Minorities”. Their goal was to discuss the importance of Cardiovascular Disease Policy. Additionally they recommended priority strategies to improve the health of the Hispanic/Latino community and other minority groups.
Featured speaking organizations included: Pfizer, National Medical Association, National Council of Asian Pacific Islander Physicians, and Association of American Indian Physicians.
1. Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH). Cedars-sinaiedu. 2018. Available at: https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Non-alcoholic-Steatohepatitis-NASH-.aspx. Accessed June 5, 2018.
2. Pathology of Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis: Overview, Etiology, Clinical Features. Emedicinemedscapecom. 2018. Available at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2038493-overview. Accessed June 5, 2018.
3. (NASH) N, Services G, Program G, (Hepatology) L, Fresno L, Chico L. Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH). Stanfordhealthcareorg. 2018. Available at:https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/liver-kidneys-and-urinary-system/nonalcoholic-steatohepatitis-nash.html. Accessed June 5, 2018.
4. Types of Fatty Liver Disease and Who's at Risk. Hopkinsmedicineorg. 2018. Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/liver_biliary_and_pancreatic_disorders/nonalcoholic_fatty_liver_disease_134,178. Accessed June 5, 2018.
5. Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Patientinfo. 2018. Available at: https://patient.info/health/non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease. Accessed June 5, 2018.
6. Hepatitisimedpubcom. 2018. Available at: http://hepatitis.imedpub.com/a-fatty-world-exploring-racial-disparity-innafldnash.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2018.
New Members Spotlight!
Obesity Action Campaign
NASH Council Membership list
Want to be a member? Membership Application Form
NASH Council workgroups have begun!
The purpose of the workgroups is to develop and execute plans to address specific aspects of the fatty liver disease epidemic. These workgroups are holding monthly calls. Additionally, the NASH Council will hold full council meetings at the time of DDW and AASLD. The workgroups are listed below with the meeting schedule and time.
To RSVP for a workgroup and get the workgroup conference number please email NASH@globalliver.org
1. Public Education and Screening
To increase public understanding of NAFLD and NASH
First Thursday of every month. 12:00pm EST
2. Clinician Education, Diagnosis, & Management
Improve clinician education (pediatric and primary care – specialists) to increase the number of people diagnosed and connected to care
Second Thursday of every month. 12:00pm EST
3. Patient Education and Support
Provide actionable information and support for diagnosed patients
Third Thursday of every month. 12:00pm EST
Identify and support policies that facilitate the strategies and objectives of the other working groups (e.g. reimbursement)
Fourth Thursday of every month. 12:00pm EST
For more information or to get the workgroup conference number please email NASH@globalliver.org
Global Markets Direct
Global Markets Direct’s Pharmaceutical and Healthcare latest pipeline guide Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) – Pipeline Review, H1 2018
Phelix Therapeutics, LLC
On January 31, 2018, Phelix Therapeutics, LLC announced that they received a grant from NIH which will support their continued research of Calpain therapeutics to inhibit myofibroblast generation in fibrosis for the treatment of fibrotic diseases such as IPF and NASH.
- 35 Clinical Trials for NASH currently recruiting.
On February 2, 2018 SuperSonic Imagine announced that they had received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for their ultrasound diagnostic systems, Aixplorer® and Aixplorer® Ultimate. These new diagnostic tools aid in the clinical management of patients with liver disease.
This technology allows physicians to visualize and analyze the stiffness of tissue in a timely, reliable, reproducible, and non-invasive manner. Clinicians can use this system with previously documented ultrasound liver brightness to indicate the extent of hepatic steatosis. Aixplorer’s ability to visualize and quantify abdominal vascularization and perfusion will also aid clinical management of patients with liver nodules and advanced chronic liver diseases.
The Gut and Obesity Asia (GO ASIA) workgroup was formed to study the relationships between obesity and gastrointestinal diseases in the Asia Pacific region. They concluded that more severe liver disease can be suspected or ruled out based on factors (body mass index ≥30 kg/m2 , diabetes mellitus, dyslipidaemia, alanine aminotransferase ≥88 U/L and aspartate aminotransferase ≥38 U/L) identified in this study.
For Your Calendar
February 26-27: Global NASH Congress. London, United Kingdom.
April 23-25: 2nd Annual NASH Summit. Boston, MA.
June 12: International NASH Information Day